MIFARE DESFire EV2 – User Apps – for MFA, SSH Pub/Prv keys

Forum / MIFARE general topics and applications / MIFARE DESFire EV2 – User Apps – for MFA, SSH Pub/Prv keys

• 19. May 2020 at 3:10
    hi everyone
    I am interested in using my MIFARE DESFire EV2 card (and my implanted chip) for MFA, Storing Pub/Prv keys for SSH, OTP, Challenge-Response, etc. Any guidance on how users are able to achieve these goals with this chipset please?

thanks in advance

+ 0  |  - 0

Re: MIFARE DESFire EV2 – User Apps – for MFA, SSH Pub/Prv keys

19. May 2020 at 9:21
    Hi N0AGI,

It depends on what platform do you want to use. For instance, if your platform is Android, I would recommend to use TapLinx SDK. It makes the communication between your app and the MIFARE card very easy. No cipher, no protocols to implement on app’s side. It is all included in TapLinx!

If the platform is an “own microcontroller board” or for instance a Raspberry Pi, you must implement the cipher, utility functions and the protocol by yourself. And trust me, implementing ciphered communication can be very hard.

The TapLinx team

+ 0  |  - 0

20. May 2020 at 14:19
    hi - Thank you for the guidance. I was hoping to build for Android and for my PC (via Python or C). I will take a look at TapLinx SDK. Is there a C or Python implementation of the SDK ?

A related question - I am new to developing apps for NFC and more specifically for the MIFARE DESFire EV2. I have downloaded the data sheets, but, think I am missing some core material to get me started. Is there a "getting started" dev videos, developer Command Set and related dev documentation some where that you can point me to please. Thanks.

Lastly, I keep seeing and hearing the term "Master Key" when discussing DESFire EV2. I realize it is not readily available, is this something devs are able to gain access to ? My understanding is that it is needed to dev against the chipset.

thanks in advance
    + 0  |  - 0

21. May 2020 at 5:18
    hi TapLinx Team
    I was hoping to find some examples on my search, but, having trouble locating. Do you have any code examples for MIFARE DESFire EV2 in Java or C# or Python please. I am hoping to learn how one can program this card w/ specifics of App -> Files -> Keys and Settings. And, any guidance around implementing MFA/OAuth/OpenID would be hugely appreciated.

thank you.

+ 0  |  - 0

22. May 2020 at 15:06
    I think I found some good info here and links to a TapLinx SDK webinar

+ 0  |  - 0

22. May 2020 at 15:14
    Hi N0AGI,

Answers to your questions:

TapLinx is available as Android SDK and Java SDK for desktop systems.

Unfortunately, C# and Python is not supported.

In the TapLinx AN you will find a useful introduction into the MIFARE DESFire architecture.

One important topic to bear in mind: if you use TapLinx SDK, the implementation is quite easy. A lot of examples and code snippets are available on this site. But if you cannot use TapLinx for some reasons, then you must implement the cipher and some other methods like CRC and CMAC by yourself. This can be much more complex and error prone. In this case you need NDA classified material.

The TapLinx team
    + 0  |  - 0

23. May 2020 at 0:32
    hi TapLinx Team
    Yes, I would like to use the TapLinx SDK; however, I am not able to get to a place where I can find simple self-contained programs. I am a Java dev, but a C, C# and Python. I dont mind picking up Java and roll with it. Therefore, I am looking for simple examples of TapLinx SDK for working with DESFire EV2 8K and MIFARE Classic 1K chipset. Can you point me to a place where you publish these samples please. Thanks

Secondly, I have purchased a FEITIAN 502 CL reader for my W10. I have not been able to get any of your NXP sample apps to support this reader. All I get is, "Reader Not Supported". Any guidance here is appreciated.

thanks
    + 0  |  - 0

27. May 2020 at 8:41
    Hi N0AGI ,

If you use Android as platform, you can only use internal NFC readers! Only internal readers are supported by the internal libraries. Only these are supported by TapLinx.

External USB readers can be used on Android, but those are not available from internal NFC interface. You have to implement everything for the external devices by your own.

The TapLinx team

+ 0  |  - 0

27. May 2020 at 12:58
    interesting, thanks for the clarification on the usability of TapLinx SDK for non-Android, PC level interface with external NFC readers.
    + 0  |  - 0
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.