Reply To: How to determine the authenticity of a DESFire EV1 card

Forum MIFARE SDK How to determine the authenticity of a DESFire EV1 card Reply To: How to determine the authenticity of a DESFire EV1 card

Re: How to determine the authenticity of a DESFire EV1 card

9. March 2016 at 3:18

C C
Hi,

I got your idea. You are saying that the issuer should distribute reliable cards to end-users. I agree with that.
What confuses me is how can I know the card is the original one during the use. For example, a company issues the DESFire EV1 card as value cards, to customers. Customers can store value in the card. They can use the card value both in offline shops by tapping on a card reader and online shops by tapping to their Android phones. An application on Android is going to accept the payment by reading the card to deciding if the customer is really a registered customer and whether there is enough stored value in his card. In this scenario, the company can make sure that they issue the reliable DESFire cards to customers. However, on the application side, it also needs to make sure the card is not faked. If the card can be cloned and the app fails to detect the clone card, a cheater could abuse the card in online shops by tapping a clone card on his phone.
So I'm thinking, is it possible for an app to know the originality of the DESFire?
Thanks. Hope to here from you soon.
+ 0  |  - 0