What is NTAG Frontend?

Forum / MIFARE and NFC Reader IC`s / What is NTAG Frontend?

Tagged: , , ,

• 4. April 2017 at 10:39
    Hi everyone,
    in the datasheet of MFRC630, i found something that i don't understand that i hope that someone can help me with,
    "Read/write mode supporting NTAG"

What is NTAG Frontend?

Thanks in advance,
    Ahmed Tarek
    + 0  |  - 0

Re: What is NTAG Frontend?

6. April 2017 at 9:35
    Hi Ahmed,

The MFRC630 is a NFC reader for tags and MIFARE products and called as “NFC frontend”. The role of this device is communicating with tags. In contrast for other devices it is possible to switch in “card mode” where the device act as tag in front of a reader station. Frontends are in “reader mode” where they act as device reader.

Regards,
    The TapLinx team

+ 1  |  - 0

11. April 2017 at 13:40
    Thank you for your answer,
    From your answer, we can conclude the following
    - NTAG frontend, means that the target reader can communicate with NFC tags,
    - MFRC630 has a special feature, it can emulates Mifare tags and can be interrogated by other readers,

If that's correct which feature stated in the product data sheet that says that the reader can emulate cards.

Thanks in advance,
    Ahmed Tarek
    + 0  |  - 0

12. April 2017 at 9:36
    Hi Ahmed,

A “NFC Front end” is a card reader. Please have a look to this definition of card and reader mode:

http://nfc-forum.org/what-is-nfc/what-it-does/

Some device can also be used in card mode. This means you can build a device which act in a front of a NFC reader as card. But this does not mean, that the reader device “is” an entire MIFARE card!

If you interested in this feature you need a so called “secure element” which contains a virtual MIFARE card. This link might be interesting for you:

https://www.mifare4mobile.org/

The TapLinx team

+ 1  |  - 0

12. April 2017 at 16:18
    Well noted, Many thanks for kind support :)
    + 0  |  - 0
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.