Use Android Phone with Carde emulation for (Old) standard RFID readers

Forum / MIFARE and NFC Reader IC`s / Use Android Phone with Carde emulation for (Old) standard RFID readers

• 26. October 2020 at 22:32
    Hi,

I have a question about classic rfid readers and emulation on an android phone.

I got the following setup:
    I have a dahua asr1101a which reads mifare tags. The dahua asr1101a is connected with a axis a1001 controller.

Is it possible to emmulate a mifare card with an android phone?
    What I want to achieve is to replace the tag with an android phone.

I have searched the internet and read many articles that say it is possible, but no examples.
    If it is possible can somebody point me to a ready to use android application with sourcecode on github for example.
    Or maybe show me how to do it?

Thanks.

+ 0  |  - 0

Re: Use Android Phone with Carde emulation for (Old) standard RFID readers

27. October 2020 at 12:32
    Hi Mo Aarab,

NXP has already a solution for the approach using a mobile phone as MIFARE Card. It is called “MIFARE for Mobile” (M4M) and uses a NFC reader and a so called Secure Element in the rear plate of a mobile phone. The Secure Element is silicon which contains keys, other credentials and customer data. Any customer who buy a MIFARE plastic card or a M4M product can be sure that no one—even NXP—can access the protected data without knowing the keys which was used for protection. Please take in mind, we as NXP sell high security products with a maximum for the customer confidentiality.

Now you come across and ask how can I make a “fake card” where all customer data lay open as part of your app? Who will give a penny for this app where all customer data and keys are readable by you and can be copied at arbitrary to someone else? Nothing is protected in your app and the customer data confidentiality is equal to zero.

I hope you understood why writing such app makes no sense in a legal business environment.

The TapLinx team
    + 0  |  - 0

27. October 2020 at 20:34
    Hi TapLinx Team Support,

Thank you for your quick reply. Excuse me for not knowing that there is a mifare solution. I am quite new in the domain of rfid and nfc. So, correct me if I am wrong. The solution that you provide is a silicon chip that I must place in the rear plate of my phone. Where can I get this silicon chip? It would help me a lot if you could point me into the right direction. I suppose there is also a library for programming that chip. If you have demo and also some examples than I can put it together myself. Thanks again.

+ 0  |  - 0

29. October 2020 at 14:20
    Hi Mo Aarab,

I am sorry, but I must disappoint you again. The Secure Element in the rear of a smart phone is part of the manufacturing process and is controlled by the manufacturer only. No user software can access to the SE, only the firmware.

Take in mind, the MIFARE Smartcard is also a keystore! Instead of building own hardware you can realize secure projects with one of the products from the MIFARE portfolio. The security level is graded, from non-high security, but favorable to high security. For getting an overview, please visit:

MIFARE Product Families

The TapLinx team
    + 0  |  - 0

29. October 2020 at 14:51
    Hi Taplinx support,

So basically, it is not possible to use a phone as a tag. So, for all standard rfid readers you must use a tag or a card. That is disappointing to hear. But that’s how it Is and we cannot change that.
    Ok thank you for your help.

Kind regards,
    Mo
    + 0  |  - 0

4. December 2020 at 7:55
    Good! Really informative post.
    + 0  |  - 0

9. December 2020 at 8:59
    Nice post
    + 0  |  - 0
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.