SAM

Tagged: 

• 12. April 2016 at 4:02
    Please help me understand what SAM is. is SAM a type of card or a CAD hardware. is SAM both Counter and Counter-less. I assume is Counter.
    How do I gain knowledge about SAM. I read some where in the forum about NDA, How do you obtain the status to gain knowledge about SAM and the business process.

When I request for Android NFC terminal that support Mifare technology, is it right to say it must be same enabled.

Any tutorial document or write-up will be helpful.

+ 0  |  - 0

Re: SAM

12. April 2016 at 9:26
    Hi Onyekachi,

The SAM AV2 is a Secure Element on a SD card which store passwords. The SAM does not have a contactless interface. Usually the SAM is part of the reader terminal for storing sensitive data and for calculating cryptographic operations like authentication etc. Secure Element means that the keys saved on the silicon are protected in the same way like a MIFARE DESFire.

Yes, documents about SAM AV2 are NDA classified.

Kind regards
    The MIFARE Team

+ 0  |  - 0

17. April 2016 at 16:21
    I always has thought SAM Card is a special Secure Device (SD) Card that you buy just like you buy Mifare Cards. What I have understood from your response is that SAM is a regular SD card on a device on your computer that you write a secure element on. Frankly, SAM AV2 is what is written on an SD card, not the special card itself.

+ 0  |  - 0

18. April 2016 at 9:35
    Hi Onyekachi,

You can get the SAM AV2 in several packages. Please have a look into our data sheet and application note:

http://cache.nxp.com/documents/short_data_sheet/P5DF081_SDS.pdf

http://www.nxp.com/documents/application_note/AN10975.pdf

The SAM save keys but do much more. You can use a mode, where the SAM manage the encrypted communication between the card and the controller unit in your reader terminal. You can find details in our data sheets and application notes.

The MIFARE Team
    + 0  |  - 0

18. April 2016 at 15:29
    Even more confused than I rhought I was.. I am beginning to feel foolish

As a developer that uses the Mifare advanced sdK to devlop application. I have a Mifare card, I have the Mifare Advanced SDK, I have the NFC terminal with SAM slot. I have SD card placed inside the terminal. What else would I need to perform SAM key security and other services provided by Miafre SAM. DO I need to buy the NXP SAM card instead of the regular SD cards. if so, where Do I get it. I live in the United States.

+ 0  |  - 0

19. April 2016 at 15:03
    Hi Onyekachi,

Please let me explain. You have to separate the MIFARE card products, the MIFARE SDK and the SAM AV2. The MIFARE SDK is a library with helps you to develop Android apps which use the NFC interface. If you want to access to a MIFARE Classic, Plus, DESFire or any of the other products on an Android phone the choice of the MIFARE SDK is a good option.

Usually you do not use a SAM on an Android phone, because the only way to access a SAM is to use a SD card reader connected via USB. You have to use a driver for the SD card reader and the USB interface. Previous releases of the SDK supported the HID Omnikey 6121 reader. But the support is discontinued by HID now.

If you use a terminal with runs Android, then you have to build Android from the sources and adapt it to your hardware. For instance when you provide extra SD card slots in your hardware, then you have to bind this slots to the Linux/Android system before you can use it. Unfortunately there is no standard interface for such slots, so an external application programmer cannot use it in its software when its software should run on any Android phone. Nor can one offer a service or a library over this extra SD card slot if it does not exist as standard interface.

OK, let us come back to the SAM. If you want to use it in an Android system which provide such extra SD Card slot, it is your responsibility to write the interface driver to connect it to the system. The MIFARE SDK will not - and cannot provide a SAM because the official Android API does not support such slot.

I hope, it is a little bit clearer now what is possible and what not.

Kind regards,
    The MIFARE Team
    + 0  |  - 0

21. April 2016 at 3:42
    Excellent explanation.

Thank you very much for the explanation
    + 0  |  - 0

13. December 2022 at 8:34
    Thanks for explaination.
    + 0  |  - 0
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.