Picking the right key for DESFire EV2 cards when UIDs are unreliable/unavailable

Forum / MIFARE general topics and applications / Picking the right key for DESFire EV2 cards when UIDs are unreliable/unavailable

• 2. November 2020 at 11:44
    Hi, I'm building a software that runs on a PC that authenticates users with cards. I'm using DESFire EV2 for this. At the moment I'm stuck because, since there are multiple cards in the system (possibly dozens, each with a different key), I need to know what card is on the reader in order to pick the right key and to perform the authentication. I thought that UIDs were the way to go, but UIDs in the anti-collision phase could be random and the GetUID function is available only AFTER a successful authentication. Do you have any ideas on how can I achieve my goal? I feel like this is a bit of a rookie question, but I wasn't able to find an answer in the docs, nor in the forum. Thanks
    + 0  |  - 0

Re: Picking the right key for DESFire EV2 cards when UIDs are unreliable/unavailable

3. November 2020 at 14:30
    Hi Mario,

This is a special configuration setting to set the UID to random in the anti-collision. In this case I would have a file with read permission 0x0E and communication mode “plain” (all other files should be protected with keys). This file can be read without authentication and give some hints about the key. In and of itself, knowing this data this is not a security problem, it is only a piece for subsequent method.

Usually, it is no practicable to manage a lot of keys in the reader terminal. I would prefer using diversified keys. There is a root key for all cards, but with a “unique diversification value” the authentication key is generated. The unique diversification value could be the data from the readable file and the authentication key is different for all cards.

The TapLinx team
    + 1  |  - 0

Re: Picking the right key for DESFire EV2 cards when UIDs are unreliable/unavailable

3. November 2020 at 20:30
    Thank you very much, your reply was very helpful. I think I will use these techniques.
    + 0  |  - 0

4. November 2020 at 9:03
    Hi Mario,

An Addendum. What I called as “unique diversification value” is usually the UID of the card or some other constant which is unique for the card in the field. There exists an application note from NXP where the key diversification is explained:

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN10922.pdf

The TapLinx team

+ 1  |  - 0

4. November 2020 at 13:38
    Thanks again. That application note is a very valuable resource.
    + 1  |  - 0

25. November 2022 at 16:10
    Hi,

The purpose of a random UID is to prevent a badge from being trackable.

If the badge contains an open-access file containing a unique identifier, don't you think that some might consider that this introduces a security flaw ?
    + 0  |  - 0

27. December 2022 at 2:09
    In principle, you can use this option
    + 0  |  - 0

27. January 2023 at 2:57
    BUY 100% UNDETECTABLE COUNTERFEIT MONEY £,$,€, (WA...... +1 205 850 0777)
    UNWORN COUNTERFEIT MONEY USD/GBP/Euro
    FAKE MONEY TO SELL FAKE MONEY IN QUALITY TO SELL

BUY FAKE MONEY We are professional IT technicians and produce SUPER UNDETECTED COUNTERFEIT MONEY
    for all currencies. Our notes are produced industrially and professionally. We use high-quality foil paper elements. 20% pulp and 80% cotton paper. Our bills have the infrared detector that makes our bills buy the UV devices, pen tests, and even eye detection experts. Our banknotes are of AAA+ quality. We also sell and offer money cleaning services and solutions. We sell AAA+ SSD... Money Solution. Holograms and Holographic Strips/Microlabeling/Methane Ink and Thread Watermarking/IR Detection/Ultraviolet Functions/Clear Functions/Different Serial Numbers. We have the best HOLOGRAMS AND DUPLICATING MACHINES / - UV: YES

MEET FROM FACE TO FACE FOR FREE SAMPLES IN GERMANY

Euro Euro
    USD - US Dollar DNR - DINAR GBP - British Pound
    INR - Indian Rupee
    AUD - Australian Dollar CAD - Canadian Dollar

AED - Emirates Dirham
    ZAR
    - Rand
    CHF - Swiss Franc
    CNY - Chinese Renminbi Yuan
    MYR - Malaysian Ringgit
    THB – Thai Baht
    NZD - New Zealand Dollar
    SAR - Saudi Riyal
    QAR - Qatar Riyal&&WhatsApp

PRODUCTS:SSD SOLUTIONS SSD Supreme Solution SSD Universal Solution
    SSD SOLUTION PK 58 SSD Topix Solution SSD Castro X Oxide Solution for

SSD Tourmaline Solution SSD VECTROL PASTE Solution SSD TEBI-MANETIC Solution

Whatsapp...... +1 205 850 0777
    wickr........... nilelotus

+ 0  |  - 0
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.