How to start developing my own code using laptop, MIFARE writer and a smart card

Forum / MIFARE general topics and applications / How to start developing my own code using laptop, MIFARE writer and a smart card

• 27. February 2018 at 20:13
    Hello Mifare world,
    I am completely new to this RFID world. For my college project i want to build a system which will do the below activities,
    a. store the person id(name,age) and the total amount (in rupees) in the smart card.
    b. the owner of the smartcard swipe the card in a counter and certain amount will be deducted.
    c. the remaining balance amount will be stored in the smart card.

I have purchased a Mifare Writer/Reader , a smart card and some dll files(dont know what to do with that)

Please advice as below :
    a. how can i develop an application which can interpret with the USB plugged-in Mifare writer with my laptop.
    b. which tool i will use to build the application ?
    c. how to write information in the card and how to read the data stored in the card ?

Any documentation or links or anything which can help me to build the application will be much appreciated.
    Your prompt response with an appropriate answer will be of immense help to me. Thank you in advance.

Thanks
    Saroj Mahanta
    Ph +91 8240920062

+ 0  |  - 0

Re: How to start developing my own code using laptop, MIFARE writer and a smart card

1. March 2018 at 11:19
    Hi Saroj,

This depends on which platform you want to use. If you want to use a desktop system you will deal with the PC/SC interface. If you use Android, you can use TapLinx, a SDK for Android programmers.

But before you choose a platform, you have to select the right product for your use-case. NXP offers a wide palette of NFC products, from NFC tags for labeling until high security smartcards for payment and transport tickets.

The TapLinx team

+ 1  |  - 0

Re: How to start developing my own code using laptop, MIFARE writer and a smart card

2. March 2018 at 10:36
    Dear Taplinx team,
    At first I want to use a desktop application. I read in some web pages, that I have to first install Microsoft visual studio. Then develop a program to write in the smart card. The mifare device company has given a zip file which consists of some files. I think I have to use those DLL files in my programs. But exactly what I have to do I have no clue.

I think I have to learn .net , c++ technologies first to build the program.

Please guide.

As a beginner I just need a simple application. A button when clicked will store the information in the card and a button to show the data stored in the card.

Thanks
    Saroj Mahanta
    + 1  |  - 0

5. March 2018 at 10:01
    Hi Saroj,

No, all of this is not required! I recommend to check first, which kind of smartcard you want to use. What is your use case? Is a simple tag sufficient where you can save a couple of bytes? Or do you need security? Then you have to deal with encryption.

If you search a little bit, you will find the Java Global Platform Shell (JGPShell) . This shell connect to your reader and allows you to communicate with your smartcard with so called APDU commands. Here you can check your approach without any other high language tools.

The TapLinx team
    + 0  |  - 0
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.