Handling Keys for Access

Forum / MIFARE general topics and applications / Handling Keys for Access

• 24. October 2017 at 20:11
    I am new to smart card . I have a requirement where a smart card solution need to be defined . smart card will be MIFARE Desfire EV1.

Question 1. I understand that I can secure card data using multiple keys from master level to application level. Since the Card reader and Card uses symmetric keys for information exchange the keys need to be available at the reader end as well right? thats my understanding. How do I keep my Key at the reader end?. Can I remotely store the keys (say in a secure DB ) and use it at the time of card reading?.

Question 2. I have heard about SAM module in keeping the key securely at the Reader End. How does it work?. If I need to make an application work offline as well which need to be relay on smart card. Whats is the best way to keep the keys's locally?.

Please excuse me if I am asking very generic and trivial questions?.

Cheers,
    Jereesh
    + 0  |  - 0

Re: Handling Keys for Access

2. November 2017 at 13:24
    Hi Jereesh,

You do not need to save the key values in your reader front end. You can let the authentication running on a secured back end and let hand-over the intermediate results to the front end. But here you have limitations in the communication speed. If the network is too slow, the authentication will fail!

The MIFARE SAM AV2 is a hardware key-store located on your reader front end for securely save your keys. With the SAM you are independent from any network.

Regards,
    The TapLinx team

+ 0  |  - 0
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.