General questions on the way the cards work

Forum / MIFARE general topics and applications / General questions on the way the cards work

• 1. March 2018 at 9:20
    Good morning everyone,

I used up the whole last week to collect information about the Mifare DESFire EV1 card and it seems I can't find the answers to the questions i'm asking.
    I hope you are able to help me.

The questions are mostly on security and I hope this is the right area to ask for:
    Q1: How is the session key created? What are the dependencies of it?
    Q2: Files can be encrypted and a card can hold up to 14 keys per application, as described in the datasheet. Is one of the keys an encryption key (e.g. AES) or is there only one encryption key for the whole card?
    Q3: If its the second case, how is it possible to verify, that one application isnt listening and collecting information of a connection to another one?
    Q4: Someone said in another topic that it's possible to use different encryption methods for different applications. Is that true?
    Q5: The PICC Master Key cannot be received from the card in any way ( not even encrypted ), right?
    Q6: Can one application, as a whole, be copied from one card to another? (if all files are accessible to be read and you have the permission to write on the other card )

I would be very glad if anyone would be able to answer even just one of these questions.
    Thanks in advance.

Greetings
    Bastian
    + 0  |  - 0

Re: General questions on the way the cards work

1. March 2018 at 11:12
    Hi Bastian,

You will get general information about the MIFARE DESFire EV1/EV2 from our public site:

https://www.nxp.com/products/identification-and-security/mifare-ics/mifare-desfire:MC_53450

Please take in mind, the MIFARE DESFire is a high security product. Detailed information is available only after you sign a NDA. Unfortunately, students and hobby enthusiasts cannot sign a NDA with NXP.

You can write to us for a NDA request:

taplinx@nxp.com

The TapLinx team

+ 0  |  - 0

2. March 2018 at 8:40
    Thanks for your quick answer.

Is it possible for you to answer these questions without going too deep into detail about the technique which is being used?
    Would be great to get a quick overview, even if it's not too detailed.

Thanks in advance even if you aren't able/allowed to :)

Greetings
    Bastian
    + 0  |  - 0

12. March 2018 at 20:06
    Security through obscurity (TM) :)
    How nice...
    + 0  |  - 0
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.