Communicating with Mifare Plus (Security level 1 or 2)

Forum / MIFARE general topics and applications / Communicating with Mifare Plus (Security level 1 or 2)

• 11. September 2013 at 15:46
    Hello,

I have this question. As I understood in general you can communicate with Mifare Cards using Win 32 API (functions like SDCardTransmit, etc.). Now, I have a Mifare Plus card and an omnikey reader. I was reading this guide:
    http://www.hidglobal.com/sites/hidglobal.com/files/omnikey_contactless_developer_guide.pdf
    in which section 6.2 says that:

"
    If the card is activated in protocol layer 3, then the application can not use the direct card communication. For
    this type of communication an transparent transmission cannel to the card is necessary. Currently is an
    amendment proposal for PC/SC specification part 3 (HID, NXP) for this type of communication in discussion
    with the PC/SC work group.
    Because the standardization is not concluded, the OMNIKEY 5x21 reader provide an HID proprietary
    transparent cannel. In this cannel the application can communicate with generic card commands (clause 6.3,
    6.4 and 6.5).
    "

My question is how do you tackle communication with Mifare Plus when it is activated in security layer 1 or 2 (as mentioned above). ? Does this mean we can't use Win 32 API directly? If I use mechanism suggested above (in the doc- using some HID channel) does it mean only omnikey readers can communicate with my Smart card? Really hope on some help here as I could not find much info on the internet. Thanks.
    + 0  |  - 0

Re: Communicating with Mifare Plus (Security level 1 or 2)

11. September 2013 at 17:54
    Stephan,

You will need to make sure that the PC/SC driver you have is PC/SC 2.0.2 compliant. I have also included a link to a document on how to use it in this context.

Mike

http://www.pcscworkgroup.com/specifications/files/pcsc3_v2.02.00_sup2.pdf
    + 0  |  - 0

Re: Communicating with Mifare Plus (Security level 1 or 2)

11. September 2013 at 19:19
    Dear Mike,

thanks for the response. I am not sure what you meant with PC/SC driver
    because I just installed driver for my reader - omnikey 5321. But I will look
    at the document you posted.

I was more interested in what the document I referred to, said in Section 6.2
    About HID proprietary transparent channel that I might have to use for
    communicating with Mifare Plus if the latter is in security layer 1, or 2.
    Can you tell me your opinion about this? And also about interoperability as
    I highlighted in my initial question? Thanks.
    + 0  |  - 0
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.