Reply To: What Mifare Tag should I use?

Forum MIFARE general topics and applications What Mifare Tag should I use? Reply To: What Mifare Tag should I use?

Re: What Mifare Tag should I use?

5. November 2018 at 13:37
Hi Eric,

The data on a MIFARE Classic are protected with a key. It is a six-byte key which is stored in the last block of a sector. This key is used for the encryption of the communication at the reader.

To be honest, the MIFARE Classic is not the MIFARE product with the highest security features anymore. If you want to protect your goods with high security, I recommend using the MIFARE DESFire EV1 or EV2. This product uses AES 128 bit for encryption and decryption and is the today security standard.

To protect scanning the communication between reader and card, use encryption. I would not recommend only using the card UID as entrance token. The UID can be manipulated. You should read a data block on Classic or read data from a file on a DESFire in encrypted communication mode. If someone steals the MIFARE DESFire, the keys on it are protected, it cannot be read. But with the stolen card the thief can enter your property. You must change the keys in this case.

The TapLinx team
+ 1  |  - 0