Based on the international standard ISO/IEC 14443 Type A, MIFARE stands for NXP proprietary technologies, which are used for contactless smart card systems consisting of card and reader components with a typical read/write distance of 10 cm (4 inch). MIFARE is a registered Trademark of NXP B.V.
Used in more than 40 different applications - such as access management, road tolling, closed-loop micro-payment, loyalty and membership cards, MIFARE is available across all form factors including both contactless and dual interface smart cards as well as readers and mobile devices.
In its successful history, MIFARE has established an excellent reputation and footprint as leading technology platform that delivers convenience, flexibility and scalability for application developers in the contactless market.
MIFARE - at a glance
- Fully compliant with the international standard ISO/IEC 14443 Type A
- Proven and reliable, with more than 5 billion smart card and ticket ICs and 50 million reader components sold
- MIFARE has a market share of more than 70% in the automatic fare collection industry
- Future-proof product portfolio covering reader components as well as contactless and dual interface smart card ICs
- Multiple sourcing on all levels of the value-chain (ICs, readers, cards, etc.)
- Multi-application memory to store several services on the same card
- Fast transaction speed (typical ticket transaction in less than 100ms)
- High reliability - no moving parts, no battery
- High security and fraud protection